August 14, 2013

The Classics Spin #3

It is the third Classics Club Spin already, but it is the second for me, and I hope it'll be the first one I actually succeed in :) I failed miserably in the first spin, because I had some bad luck and I got Middlemarch, which is not only over 900 pages long, but is also not gripping enough to make me finish all these 900 pages in a month and a half during university semester. I read the first part and I haven't picked it up again since. I was actually so ashamed of it that I didn't participate in the second spin, which I regret. But now I'm fully recovered, have some time and will give it another try! To make things simpler, I'll just take the list for the first spin and change the books I have already read since then to other books from my Classics Club list. So here goes:

5 I can't wait to read:

1) Eco, Umberto: The Name of the Rose Austen, Jane: Mansfield Park
2) Fitzgerald, F. Scott: The Great Gatsby Alcott, Louisa May: Little Women
3) Maugham, W. Somerset: Of Human Bondage
4) Waugh, Evelyn: Brideshead Revisited
5) Woolf, Virginia: Mrs. Dalloway Hardy, Thomas: Tess of the D'Urbervilles

5 I'm hesitant to read:

6) Chaucer, Geoffrey: The Canterbury Tales
7) Joyce James: Ulysses
8) Milton, John: Paradise Lost
9) Hugo, Victor: Les Miserables
10) Ovid: Metamorphoses

5 I really don't know what to expect from

11) Stoppard, Tom: Rosencratz and Guildenstern are Dead
12) Rand, Ayn: Atlas Shrugged
13) Du Maurier, Daphne: Rebecca
14) Eliot, George: Middlemarch - now I know!! But I'll let it be :)
15) Apuleius, Lucius: The Golden Ass

1 I just can't finish:

16) One Thousand and One Nights - still cannot finish it! But I'm 75% done with it already which means there are only about 700 pages left, what a trifle :)

4 Random:

17) Dickens, Charles: Great Expectations
18) Twain, Mark: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court
19) Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan: The Lost World
20) Kerouac, Jack: On the Road Radcliffe, Anne: The Mysteries of Udolpho


Source

3 comments:

  1. I really liked all four of the ones I've read on this list (Mansfield Park, Little Women, Great Expectations, and A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court). I hope you get the one you want!

    Wow, seven hundred pages left (and 75% through!) in One Thousand and One Nights. . .I'm a little nervous about reading that one now! It's not on my Classics Club list, but it's on my reading list in general. Say, aren't there two volumes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it depends on the edition... I have an e-book, which is 3700 pages long, around 700 of which is commentary. But it may be shorter in English, because I read it in Russian translation :)

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about your experience with Middlemarch -- I had a bad first experience with Eliot but I took the plunge and ended up loving it, though I admit the first 100 pages were a little dry. (However, I started Daniel Deronda and got stuck halfway through -- I'll get back to it someday). Rebecca is absolutely wonderful and a very fast read. Not really literature but great nonetheless. Great Expectations and Of Human Bondage are both just wonderful. I read them in college and loved them, and I still love them years later. Good luck with your spin selection!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...